Friday, April 3, 2020

Facing Our New Normal With A More Positive Outlook

This is not the usual B.I.O.A. article as I am not the usual Nicole nor is this the usual NYC that I have lived in for over twenty two years.

So, my new story begins. March 12th was the last time I attended an event and I thought twice about going yet it was an immersive event featuring a favorite artist of mine, Alexa Meade. The event, Immersed In Wonderland, was just magical and for an hour I felt as if I could simply live in the moment and enjoy the event. I had called press ahead of time to make sure there weren't hundreds of people attending as at the time, news was first getting out that we were to be cautious in large crowds. It was fantastic, I got dressed up, went into ever incredibly magical room, had time with Alexa and when I came home I realized that would be the last time I would be in close quarters with anyone except my immediate family for weeks. Possibly months.




Artist Alexa Meade and myself at Immersed In Wonderland on March 12, 2020.
Photos courtesy of Jennifer Palomaa.

As the days moved on, more and more news came out that there were no longer to be large events, non-essential businesses were to close and COVID-19 would soon take over the world as we knew it. I do not need to tell you the heart ache, the heart break and all other emotions I never even knew I had have been rearing their ugly heads ever since.

I barely go out and if I do, I wear my N95 mask thanks to a loved one. I am constantly washing my hands and am quick to shower within minutes of returning home. Beauty for me has always been an addiction, something to play with, put on to become another part of myself. If you, like me feel the same- then go ahead and use beauty in whatever shape or form it comes to you as an outlet to the madness. Look at your face as a beautiful canvas on which to explore.

My dear friend and founder of K3 MEDIA COLLECTIVE Lauren sent me this wonderful care package and I decided to play again like I had before. My first job out of college was working in the production area at CNP for Mademoiselle, Allure and AD. I remember looking at the cosmetic ads and being excited to come home with the hopes of replicating some of the looks I had earlier admired. Kevyn Aucoin was my favorite MUA (and still is) and I remember even before this I had books by Way Bandy! I have always been a beauty addict is what I am trying to convey.

NOTHING can replace what is going on outside, the fear, the loss, the sickness. What we can do is try and make the INSIDE as positive a place as possible. So, go ahead and play. Inside. 

God Bless You All. Nicole


 

   

These are some of the wonderful brands whom sent items to my home and I am forever grateful for their generosity. Each and every brand can be bought online and most are offering special discounts for their products.

nügg Beauty

nügg’s commitment is to their consumers during this time. nügg products can be found at grocery stores such as Whole Foods, Target, Meijer, and Giant Eagle – making it very convenient when you are picking up food for the week. If you’re sticking to online shopping only, you can find their products on Amazon and nuggbeauty.com. The brand is offering 20% off their entire site and also including a free Deep Clean Face Mask with all purchases.

Saint & Sinners

A brand who’s devoted to keeping hair care products clean of all harsh ingredients, Saints & Sinners is doing what they can to help during this difficult time. The brand will begin a series of cocktails and conversations on Monday, March 30, 2020 to connect with their clients and offer some friendship. Saints & Sinners is also donating cases of shampoo and conditioner to people on the front lines. They – of all people – deserve a little luxury during these trying times. For their consumers, the brand will include samples with all online orders and waive shipping fees.

Merle Norman Cosmetics

A brand which was started during the Great Depression, Merle Norman Cosmetics has been at the forefront to help Americans during difficult times. During World War II, the brand was a supplier of camouflage sticks and lubricating oil. Today the brand is producing World Health Organization approved Hand Sanitizer. Merle Norman Cosmetics is offering free shipping on all orders of $50 or more. (I am wearing their new Spring Lip Duet in Sweat Pea along with my favorite cheek crayon in Pink Lotus).

No comments:

Post a Comment